Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bogey-nese?

10 04 12

For tonight's culinary delight, I'm having a go at meat free spaghetti bolognese.

It's the usual affair. Onion, garlic, mixed spices etc. I'm just replacing beef with lentils.

Yes. Apparently you can replace beef with lentils. I'm assured it's "awesome!"

It smells pretty good, but I'm putting that down to the garlic and tomatoes. At go time it turns out I was right. The only thing the lentils manage to do is fill the space where mince would have been, minus the taste and plus an unfamiliar consistency. Next time I think I'll stick with just marinara sauce.

And speaking of things that are "edible"...

As the curiosity grows, so does the absurdity of the questions.

"Do vegans breast feed their babies?" "If you ate a bogey does that count?" "What about scabs? If you ate one of your own scabs does that mean you're not a vegan?"

Some of the questions popping up are kinda disgusting, but contain a certain intrigue as well. I didn't expect my month without meat to provoke so much thought in the people around me. I have no idea how to answer these questions, but I do enjoy that even the seemingly silliest of queries can lead me to hours of thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment