Tuesday, April 3, 2012

319, 220, and a lot of big words.

I'm quite seriously trying not to eat ANY animal products at all. I'm even going so far as to research what all the numbers on ingredient lists mean. Today at work, armed a copy of The Chemical Maze, I decided to read the backs of a couple of my regularity consumed foodstuffs in order to discern what I put into my body.

Woah.

I knew my favourite can of caffeinated, artificially sweetened fizzy drink was bad for me...but I had NO IDEA about my humble potato chips.

Ready salted potato chips are vegan. They contain: potatoes, salt, and vegetable oil protected with antioxidant 319.

Antioxidant 319 is also known as tert-Butylhydroquinone. It contains a petroleum derivative and its potential effects include tinnitus and birth defects. It's also banned in some countries.

I'm kinda disgusted, and intrigued. While munching said bag of vegan crisps, I read up a little on what my other vegan snacks contain...

My nuts and raisins: nuts, raisins, canola oil, and 220 - otherwise known as Sulphur Dioxide. It's made by burning sulpher and can allegedly cause bronchitis, hypertension, and asthma. All while destroying vitamins A and B1.

The dried apricots I'm eating are guaranteed GM free and vegan safe - but they also contain the dreaded 220.

It gets worse from there. It's pretty clear that vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

After work, I make a beeline to the local health food shop. To my relief it doesn't smell weird, the owner is not a hippie, and I'm directed to what I ask for without any sanctimonious lectures. The whole experience is actually very nice. Good service, great range, and along with my excitement at the thought of imminent tooth brushing - I find some vegan approved Easter treats! In my determination to not become flaky, I also pick up some Spirulina tablets.

I arrive at home ready to let the man of the house know where the Easter Bunny can get my chocolate from this year; but all is forgotten when I open the door.



The smell alone has my mouth watering. I sit at dinner with my lentils & beans and find I'm just flat out staring at the meat. To his credit, he did roast me some vegetables in a separate dish - so I wouldn't be missing out!

Classic. Thankfully I'm not missing meat to the point of craving it - yet.

And there's ONLY 27 days to go!

Sigh. At least I have toothpaste now.

No comments:

Post a Comment