Sunday, April 29, 2012

ANZAC Day.

25 04 12

Despite celebrating the Breakers a little too hard last night, we were up at 0530 to pay our respects at the dawn service. No matter how hard it is to get out of bed on the 25th of April, I always think about the men and women who spent night after night stuck in trenches all those years ago; then I jump out.

It's not that hard to do when you know you'll be able to jump back in in a couple of hours. Millions of people, most younger than me, would sleep where they fell during the wars, and many who came home would never know another nights peace.

 The rest of the day is a national holiday, so we have time to reflect and appreciate the freedom we have. The sense of living life to the full is never far from my thoughts on ANZAC day and it's during a conversation around this topic that the man of the house makes a very rational statement:

"Hollie, you are a meat eater. You love it, so why deny yourself? You've already proved you can do this, plus being a vegan is making you miserable. You should end this now, and get back to making the most of everything."

It makes sense. Meat isn't illegal, cheese isn't the devil, and not eating honey because it's an animal product is as ridiculous as it sounds.

 I have the freedom to eat meat right now, and the only consequence would be the odd "I told you so" - which only serves to further highlight what a sweet existence I'm lucky to be living.

With only five days to go, I'm not about to end this quest now, even though none of us can really figure out why I'm doing it.

What I do know is that this day has given me a lot to think about, and on the first of May when I indulge in maybe more than one steak I'll think of you, Grandad, and all you and your comrades did in the name of Queen and country; whether you chose too, or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment